Re-entry Permits

Re-entry Permits
New Special Re-entry Permit Rules
Foreign nationals in possession of a valid passport and a resident card (a certificate showing application of resident card is also fine), or alien registration card may be accepted over the interim period who will be reentering Japan within one year of their formal departure to continue their activities in Japan will, in principle, not be required to apply for a re-entry permit. (This new change to the law is called a ‘special re-entry permit.’)

Please note:
If your period of stay expires within one year after your departure, you must re-enter Japan before the expiration of your period of stay.
-You will lose your resident status if you fail to re-enter Japan within one year of your departure.
-If you have departed Japan on a special re-entry permit, you are not able to extend that permit while abroad.
-To apply for a re-entry permit you must do so in person at your at your local Immigration Bureau.

You must apply for a re-entry permit if you do not plan to re-enter Japan within the one year period.
Required documents:
①Application for Certificate of Eligibility (one application form is needed for each member of your family.)
③Resident card (a certificate showing application of resident card is also accepted) ) or an alien registration card regarded as a residence card.
④¥3,000 fee for single-reentry or ¥6,000 fee for multiple-re-entry.
※Please purchase a value stamp at the immigration bureau prior to submitting your application.

You also have to obtain permission from your supervisor and inform the Academic Affairs Section at your faculty / graduate school of your absence as well as provide your overseas contact information.
If you rent an apartment, you must also inform your landlord or real estate agency of your absence. Please pay all rent covering the period of absence prior to your departure.